Noob questions: ELF binaries, a.out, and xmkmf

Gareth Westwood gareth at wffsystems.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 12:03:42 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:11:44 -0400
> Steve <beforewisdom at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi;
>>
>>I decided to be a good boy and read the prerequisites listed in the
>>LFS book.
>>
>>I just finished the howto on compiling software and I have some
>>questions.
>>
>>What are "ELF Binaries"?
>

> It's the "Executable and Linking Format".  From what I gather it was/is
> an attempt at providing a binary format that is compatible across
> unices.  Their predecessor (at least as far as Linux is concerned) was
> the 'a.out' format.  Unless you really know what you're doing (and how
> to do it!) you will always get (and want to get) ELF binaries.
>

>>If I follow the LFS book with modern hardware will I ever need to deal
>>with ELF binaries, a.out binaries, or using xmkmf to make my own make
>>files?
>

> You'll get ELF binaries.  No, I doubt you'd need to use xmkmf, and if
> you think you do, you probably don't :)

Been thinking about this for some time and haven't (as of yet) had
chance to check it out but....

If everything is built to give ELF binaries I should be able to remove
MISC and a.out support from the kernel shouldn't I?

It's something I have never been clear on so never messed with, but it
has remained on my to-read-up-on list. Though this may be an opertune
moment to ask.