DVD burning question

Andrew Calkin calkin at ieee.org
Mon Jul 5 23:32:39 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:50:59PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Any of you guys burning DVDs?
>
> if so, can you burn DVDs in TAO mode?
>
> My new burner seems happy to write CDs in TAO mode but appears to only
> offer SAO and PACKET modes for burning onto DVD-R media...have to build an ISO image before Ican write my DVD ? I used to burn CDs on the fly quite happily...)
I'm not sure if your issue is the TAO capability, or the need to build
an ISO first... I use the tools located at:
fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
which consist of growisofs and the like, and it doesn't require bilding
an ISO image on the hard drive, it just pipes it directly to the device.
I have burnt lots of dvd's this way, and haven't had a problem. I think
dvd's are only defined with either the ISO fs or the UDF fs, the second
of which requires packet writing capability. For compatibility and ease
of use, I just have tried ISO, and it has worked on every machine I have
tried it on. Never tried video dvd's for standalone players yet.

Hope this is of some help; but I am no expert in dvd burning myself.

Regards,
//Andrew