Noob questions: ELF binaries, a.out, and xmkmf

Steve beforewisdom at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 15:11:44 PDT 2004

Hi;

I decided to be a good boy and read the prerequisites listed in the LFS
book.

I just finished the howto on compiling software and I have some questions.

What are "ELF Binaries"?

If I follow the LFS book with modern hardware will I ever need to deal
with ELF binaries, a.out binaries, or using xmkmf to make my own make files?

Just curious.

If this post is not of proper form I haven't gotten to the hint in the
prerequisites yet :).   Going in top down order :)

Steve