diff ,patch and mp3s

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Jul 3 03:16:52 PDT 2004

michael wrote:
> Hello,i came across the following problem:wishing to set up a backup
> scheme for my music mp3 directory,i made a copy of it to a separate
> partition with dd ,mounted it and then ran diff when the original
> received a new addition.I intended then to put the patch command in
> cron  ,and i'd then have automatic backup .But patch always returns
> 'only  garbage found in diffout file '.I suspect that is because diff
> only works  for text,is that right?Thanks for any answers,michael

An ideal app for keeping and refreshing directory backups is (arguably)
rsync

rsync -av /orginal/mp3/dir/ /backup/mp3/dir

which will not overwrite existing files with the same names.
It will even do 'diffs' (of a sort) on binary files, if you have changed
them since your last backup.

if you are abacking up over a network, it will even allow ssh as a
transport and optional compression.

[yes, I like it! :-)]

e.g rsync -e ssh -av /local/dir user at remote:/backup/dir

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE,RHCX