Online ext3 resizing?

Justin Knierim lfs at jrknierim.de
Fri Jul 2 12:01:24 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I hope you guys can help with.  I have a new
remote server that I want to setup to host lfs ftp packages (since it
has 500GB bandwidth a month!), and am trying to think of how to split up
the one big root partition that was setup on it.  I can connect through
SSH, and can request reboots and so on, but besides that, I am on my
own.  So, does anyone know of a way to resize a mounted root partition?
Any way to mount a different temporary filesystem for root and to
unmount then the real root and resize it?

The server is running Suse 9.0 and has the following partition layout:

----------

Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1         2     16033+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2             3      9963  80011732+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5             3        83    650601   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6            84      9963  79361068+  83  Linux

hda1 = /boot, hda5 = swap, hda6 = /
------------------

  I have taken a look at the ext2resize project on sourceforge, and
tried it already once (with kernel patch and ext2online program) to
resize the partition.  It corrupted the filesystem, deleted a lot of the
/etc directory, and also killed pam, so that I could not log in anymore
(the tech could not login locally, and me also not through SSH).  After
a reinstall (which costs money and I would not to avoid doing again), I
am back to the start.

Anyone else have an idea?  Thanks for any help!

--
Justin R. Knierim
lfs at jrknierim dot de