Listening to audio CDs

dennis w32 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 08:28:46 PDT 2004

Björn Lindberg wrote:
> What is the simplest way of listening to audio CDs on my LFS system,
> in terms of programs needed and command line interface?
>

> Björn

I installed dcd, a simple command-line cd player which you can find via
freshmeat or sourceforge. I'm sure there must be better cd players out
there --- or at least newer --- but this worked. It was also simple
enough to tweak. In case you're interested, here are my tweaks,
(according to notes made in March):

I made /dev/dcd the default device, then used symbolic links to point
/dev/dcd to either my CD burner or my DVD player. (I think there are
command line options for this, but better to do it once than always,
says I). This is accomplished by changing the Makefile to read
"CDROM=/dev/dcd"

I disabled musicbrainz access. This means that I can't get a list of
music titles, but it also means I'm not annoyed by "Warning: CD not
found on www.musicbrainz.org" whenever I'm offline. This is accomplished
by setting (commenting out) "#NETWORK=1" in the Makefile. I also deleted
mbo.c, (just making sure).

(Now build dcd, in the usual way).

As root, "chmod a+s /usr/bin/dcd" so that unprivileged users can play CDs.