C++ problem -Problems

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Tue Aug 31 23:14:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 08:31:04PM +0200, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
>When I start X it comes up empty except for gkrellm. If I hit
>Winkey+enter, I get a large xterm with a large font running screen, with
>several programs already loaded in predetermined screens. I also get
>four small xterms with small fonts. With several keyboard combinations I
>can move the xterms around in many ways that are hard to describe easily
>but that make me more productive. Think the kind of tiling LarsWM does,
>only that running on openbox.

On my work PC, running windows 2000 + litestep. When the windows
starts or I logs in, it comes up empty except by desktop image by
choice (or random by day). Almost every application I would run in a
few months are hotkeyed (Win+[A-Z0-9F1-F12]...).  Console, Win+S.
Well, it is way below bash, but 90% of my time is spent in vim.
Most enjoyable machine, any friend will sit in front of my machine
dumbfounded, randomly pressing keys without any feed back :)

>Intuitive? of course not. Took me several days to fine tune the scripts
>and to tweak the keys i wanted to use. In fact the scripts could still
>use a bit of improvement. Efficient? you bet. Fun? A lot more than
>windows.

For my windows machine, I first tried a lot of themes. After a few
months, I hate all of them, so got rid of all the whistles and just
load hotkey module. Now my life in front of it is a dream. Fun, you
bet.

>> And thingking through all the software I experienced, I
>> don't think it is conclusive to say M$'s UI is not good even by your
>> criteria.
>
>I haven't said it's bad :)

We are at the same line now. You know I started babbling when I sense
that MS's OS is overly wronged by a few of our community but not you?

--
Hui Zhou

PS: I am not really tring to prove windows can beat linux, just
showing windows is hard to beat and making fun meanwhile :-)