LVM not ready for prime time yet?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Aug 31 13:51:38 PDT 2004

On Tue 31 Aug 2004 19:41, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> > Well, with my plans to build a new top of the line box, I've been looking
> > around for the info to get max flexibility and usability out of it.
> >
> > One of the things I was really looking forward to playing with was LVM,
> > as I always seem to get my partition sizes wrong, and I was planning to
> > put several drives in the box.
> >
> > But, after reading the LVM how-to and homepage, it seems that LVM2, for
> > the 2.6 series kernel is not quite ready for prime time, and LVM1 is only
> > for the 2.4 kernels.
>
> I'm using it with no perceivable problems.  What makes you think it's not
> ready for prime time?

It seems from the docs and the homepage that LVM2 is still in rapid
development, has not implemented all the features that LVM1 had and still has
quite a number of todo items pending.

I didn't mean to suggest that it was unstable, just that it's still advancing,
so I wanted to give it time to settle down before starting to play around
with it.

I like playing with Linux, but I don't want to be constantly re-installing and
upgrading LVM2 as it grows. Also, it'd be nice if grub played nicely with it,
but you can't have everything.

Cheers,

	John Gay