C++ problem -Problems

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Tue Aug 31 11:19:29 PDT 2004

* Hui Zhou <zhouhui at wam.umd.edu> [2004-08-31 17:40]:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
>
> > > I believe, for some time now, your above statements are the reason that
> > > many linux developers avoid GUI, disregard the difficulty level. Because
> > > once they try to design a GUI, it always at some parts behave (if not
> > > looks) like windows, which make them loathe.
> >
> > As I said above, it's actually the other way around.
>
> Windows developers tring to avoid the resemblance of linux? or Windows
> developers going for GUI because in console it would behave like linux?
>
> Could you show me the other way around :)

It's microsoft who is taking ideas from other designs.

Real innovation is hard to find in pure, distilled form. The way most
human achievements occur is by building on previous work. I'm not saying
MS is meritless -- just that they're better at walking the roads others
have opened, than at opening their own roads.

> > The question to ask here is: is that because 99.99% of computers come
> > with windows pre-installed, *and* because the windows GUI is at least
> > serviceable, or is it because people actually see the options and choose
> > it over the competition.
>
> I am afraid that even windows is not pre-installed, and windows is free as
> linux, most users will choose windows. See the options? If linux took much
> more steep learning curve to see the advantage, many people will just
> avoid seeing it.

Same thing: is it because of familiarity or a true choice. Or because
their data is locked in proprietary formats.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/