Shame drives can't talk to each other.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Aug 31 10:49:50 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:43:19 +0100
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:22:54 +0000
> John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
>

> > While thinking about drives, especially hard drives, DVD's and CD's,
> > I was thinking. It's a shame that the drives can't be made to talk
> > to each other over the IDE cable.
>
> Buy SCSI. its been doing this for over 12 years

To elaborate somewhat...

this doesnt necessarily mean SCSI is the future.

in the case of two devices transferring data its clearly better.

however when you have 4 or perhaps 6, or 8 devices on the go, you are
then relying on all 8 devices firmware being well behaved about
managiing their bus accesses and not hogging the scant resources. Also,
the *entire bus* and *every device on it* has to be capable of 8 times
the raw bandwidth of a single device (plus overhead) in order to operate
without slowdown.

the SATA approach *used to* be the expensive one, but now high speed
silicon chips cost less so manufacturing a 'SATA switch' would be
trivial in comparison to making an entire bus run at eight times the
transfer rate. also star topology switching eliminates the reliance on
each devices firmware.

Hmm. I think I just convinced myself that (bus hardware based) SCSI
should die. hehe.

point to point, high speed, serial, links are the *right* way forward.