Microstar comments?

Carlos Martin carlosmn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 10:04:50 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:51:57 +0000, John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> On Tue 31 Aug 2004 13:35, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > Andrew Calkin wrote:
> > > I am not _certain_, but I think from memory that each SATA controller
> > > can only handle one drive. I _should_ know this, as I have a SATA
> > > hard drive on my machine at home, but I have been overseas for 3 months,
> > > and that machine seems a distant memory right now. But my mobo has dual
> > > PATA and dual SATA, so it could have a total of 4 PATA devices and 2
> > > SATA. If someone knows better, please correct me.
> >
> > You are correct. Each SATA connector handles a single drive only.
>
> Silly me. So what's the big advantage of SATA if each interface can only
> handle one drive?
>
> Still, 8X130G is alot (-:
>
> Cheers,
>
>        John Gay

Speed. Right now the difference isn't that much, but with some
expensive drives you can get speeds that are way faster than PATA. Of
course, you'll need a drive capable of those speeds. There are some
10.000rpm drives available for SATA at the moment, although they are
very expensive.

--
Carlos Martín
SoKrA-BTS