C++ problem -Problems

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Tue Aug 31 08:14:40 PDT 2004

* Hui Zhou <zhouhui at wam.umd.edu> [2004-08-31 14:50]:
> Look at the number of people who are happy (or not
> hating) windows, don't you guys think there is parts of it are *good* or
> at least worth learning from?

Thing is, I don't see anything in the windows GUI that is truly
original, except maybe some cosmetic details, or some incremental
improvements in some areas. So, when you talk about learning from
windows, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The windows GUI has the merit of having distilled elements of many other
systems into a somewhat coherent, consistent, very minimalistic
interface. I think the 'minimalistic' part is sometimes overlooked --
the windows gui is extremely feature-poor. That helps the
lowest-common-denominator consumer to get work done with it.

I've been using GUIs from before some people on this list were born;
first i ever used was Geos on the Commodore 64.

> I believe, for some time now, your above statements are the reason that
> many linux developers avoid GUI, disregard the difficulty level. Because
> once they try to design a GUI, it always at some parts behave (if not
> looks) like windows, which make them loathe.

As I said above, it's actually the other way around.

> OK, what is a good UI anyway if intuitive is not one of its criteria?

What about giving me control to do what I want, quickly?

> There is nothing wrong that the linux community think windows is all junk,
> and there is nothing wrong that some people enjoy console more than
> anything else. I just don't think a system or software developed by this
> group of geniuses will ever be remotely as popular as windows --- at least
> not in this age.

The question to ask here is: is that because 99.99% of computers come
with windows pre-installed, *and* because the windows GUI is at least
serviceable, or is it because people actually see the options and choose
it over the competition.

Also, one needs to be aware that many open-source projects don't have
acquiring large popularity as an objective. Many, many people couldn't
care less if the rest of the world keeps chugging along using windows or
whatever, as long as they can keep using what works for them. These
people tend not to be very loud so one can end up with the impression
that world domination is something we need to strive for.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/