How to find out specs for IDE controller?

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Sun Aug 29 21:04:36 PDT 2004

On 25-Aug-04 14:27, John Gay wrote:

> 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

Is it an HX or TX chipset?

> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

My hunches tell me that the driver is correct in its assumption here.
You can try passing idebus=66 and see what happens.  I don't think it
would damage anything.

> so they both seem to be set to the max dma settings, but is this limited by
> the IDE controller? Can/should I pass idebus=xx as suggested by dmesg? Or
> should I just connect them to IDE1 & IDE2 on my RAID card? Will this give me
> better data flow rates?

If your raid card supports 66 or 100 MHz it would supports greater data
transfer rates but I don't think that is your problem.

> The main problem is that playing DVD's is slightly jumpy, even if I only start
> plain X with one xterm and play with mplayer directly form the DVD file.
> Surely a 500Mhz PIII can do better than that?

I dunno, a P3-500 is pretty slow, esp if it's not a coppermine CPU.  We
had a computer at work a while back that was a P2-233 that could play
dvd's but it had an mpeg2 accelerator card.  Without that it didn't have
a chance.  ATI video cards can offload some of processing, even older
ones like Rage IIc or Rage 128.  Maybe you could try one of those out?

If you feel it's really the data transfer rate holding you up, you could
prove it by playing an mpeg2 movie with the same specs as the dvd video
off the hard disk and see how that goes.  There is the possibility that
the right chipset driver (Intel PIIX4) is not in your kernel.  That
might cause it to fall back on a generic IDE driver that uses more CPU
than neccessary which then wouldn't be leaving enough for the decoding

~Jason