C++ problem -Problems

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Sun Aug 29 16:20:00 PDT 2004

Hui Zhou <zhouhui at wam.umd.edu> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 02:37:18AM +0200, Bj?rn Lindberg wrote:
> >I agree with Ian here. If gaining widespread acceptance means making
> > Linux to be like Windoze,
>
> That's your interpretation. To pay attention to what *idiots* need
> (intuitive)

Intuition is expectations based on previous experience. Since the
"desktop" metaphor is not one anymore, "intuitive" pretty much means
Windows. I consider the concept of "intuitive behaviour" to be grossly
misused, and is basically a cop-out people use, because they cannot
figure out how a good UI should look & behave.

> doesn't mean to immitate Windoze although that is more
> intuitive than linux currently
> in most aspects.

See above. Windoze is "intuitive" only because it is what people are
used to. If we do not consider Windoze good enough, we should not
strive for "intuitive" behaviour.

> >I am not interested. And if general
> >computing is ever to move forward, dumbing it down to the lowest level
> >has to cease.
>
> I am having trouble figuring out what you mean here. Does the lowest
> level refer to register level programing or something else?

With "lowest level" I meant what is usually referred to as "easy to
use". Percieved ease of use often conflicts with properties such as
power and flexibility.

(The above is not the best piece of English I've ever written, but it
is late and I'm tired. :-)

Björn