OS UIs

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Sat Aug 28 09:34:35 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 11:51:37AM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:

>I think it's important to realize what is an OS interface and what is
>not.

Just how important is it?

>Photoshop and the GIMP are not such;

I agree with all your statements, but if you think I am trying to
argue windows is better than linux, you misinterpreted me. :)

A user selects products depend on his own criterias. For the majority
PC users out there, they don't know what a command shell is, and os
kernel to them is like speaking marsian. The availibility of photoshop
or MS word is the dominant reason for most users to consider Windows.

I am just telling my observations on why linux won't be a threat to
M$.

>OS X is very good and intuitive but there are better.  Consider the
>interface of, say, Acme under Plan9.  The interface and interaction
>between mouse, keyboard, and user is simply brilliant.  I thought I
>would never say it but even vi could learn a thing or two about
>efficiency from Acme!

Really? I hope I would have the chance to try it out. :)

--
Hui Zhou