Can't Build glut-3.7

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 27 05:28:33 PDT 2004

John Gay wrote:

> cd /usr/src/glut-3.7
> mv Glut.cf Glut.cf.bak
> cp linux/Glut.cf .
> ./mkmkfiles.imake
> cd lib/glut
> mv Makefile Makefile.bak
> cp ../../linux/Makefile .
> make
> ln -s libglut.so.3.7 libglut.so.3
> ln -s libglut.so.3.7 libglut.so
> cd ../..
> make
>
> Now is where things get tricky. If you read the end of the README, this has
> only been tried on Slackware 3.0
>
> As I understand it, the glut libs belong in the same place as the GL and GLU
> libs and the headers are similar. So I copied them to
> /usr/X11R6/include/*
> /usr/X11R6/lib/*

That README must be fairly decent, as I came up with almost identical
build and installation commands (note: I only run make once).

Here's the commands I used (only the install is by root):

tar zxf glut-3.7.tar.gz
cd glut-3.7
cp Glut.cf Glut.cf.SAVE
chmod 644 Glut.cf
cp linux/Glut.cf .
./mkmkfiles.imake
cd lib/glut
cp ../../linux/Makefile .
make
cd ../..
su
install -m 755 -oroot -groot lib/glut/libglut.so.3.7 /usr/X11R6/lib
ln -s libglut.so.3.7 /usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so.3
ln -s libglut.so.3.7 /usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so
install -m 644 -oroot -groot include/GL/glut.h /usr/X11R6/include/GL
exit

--
Randy