CPU related query

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Aug 27 03:17:21 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:06:46 +0200
Andrew Calkin <calkin at ieee.org> wrote:

> The AMD chips died almost instantly under the same test, and
> the P3 machine shut down, but the chip was not damaged.
>
> So I _doubt_ I damaged the chip at all. And it gives me more reason to
> consider P4's over AMD chips, in the case of catastrophic failure
> (e.g. HS and fan falling off).

ARGH not that horribly biased article *again*. THG is *crapola*

Intel CPU overheat protection is all on-chip. the AMD version requires
co-operation from the mainboard. All current AMD boards support this.

1) INTEL  *paid* for that test
2) It used a NON temperature controlled motherboard even though
controlled ones were (just) available at the time.
3) Heatsinks *dont* fall off, unless you violate the specs of the mounts
on the board (as many heatsinks did at that time).

I *KNOW* its crap because I *have* put a heatsink on an AMD chip upside
down (leaving a clear air gap between CPU and 'sink.). The board powered
up, and after about 1-2 seconds powered down blinking a red 'CPU
overheat' LED at me. (Nforce 2 board in shuttle SN45G) (thats the most
recent, I've done it before on older boards).

so, OK AMD systems shut down, but thats not really any worse than a
system that runs uselessly slowly anyway.