CPU related query

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Aug 26 16:55:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:07:21 +0200
Andrew Calkin <calkin at ieee.org> wrote:

> Now, on the bottom of the heatsink there was what appeared to be some
> kind of plastic cover- it was the same on the heatsink of the
> existing, previously working CPU too, and after being used, this
> appeared to have melted.

Thats wax (or something). its supposed to melt and give a nice contact
between the 'sink and CPU.

In practice it never melts properly and you're better of scraping it off
with a flat edge (take care not to scratch up the heatsink) and
replacing it with a good thermal compound (standard white electrical goo
will do, but I have some cheap stuff called 'arctic silver' which is
supposedly designed for the job (seems to work mind)