CH. 5 Testing Glibc: FATAL: kernel too old

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 22 21:38:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:29:04AM -0400, Dominic L Hilsbos wrote:

> If you can only build a 2.6 kernel on a system running a 2.6 kernel,
> then don't you have a chicken and egg problem?  And more relevant, how
> do I manage to get a 2.6 kernel running to build on?  I can't really
> take the computer down to boot it to, say, a bootable CD, and I'm not
> really prepared to try to cross compile, in addition to building a
> testing version.

Read the chapter 5 glibc command explanations and you will see that
--enable-kernel=2.6.0 is your problem for the new build, but has nothing
to do with the host. For the host you need to use a temp 2.6 kernel.

--
Archaic

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be
the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than
under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may
sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do
so with the approval of their consciences.

- C. S. Lewis