Unzip

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Aug 19 14:26:52 PDT 2004

On Thu 19 Aug 2004 19:46, tino rozzo wrote:
> I do owe some thanks on this list, I have learned more here then anywhere.
> And reading the book does take the mystery out of many things.

We try to be helpful.

> Luckily I have a Python and Unix console to experiment with, and I
> recvommend Chipmunk Basic. I learned VS Basic in the early 80's. Very close
> with a few changes. Visual Basic looks good too. That Linux VB should take
> off like a rocket.

Not to sure about LinuxVB. Some basic programming history:

Basic was designed as a teaching tool to help explain some basic ideas to
students before using a 'proper' language. Hence the name Beginners
All-purpose Symbolic Instructional Code. After basic was developed, there was
a major revolution in programming ideas. Thanks to new ideas in structured
programming design, a lot of what basic included was found to be poorly
thought out and implemented. So a new 'teaching' language was developed that
incorporated these ideas, pascal.

So, basic should have been resigned to the scrap heap, but both Bill and Woz
used basic in their first O/S and computer, respectfully, since it was easy
to implement.

But basic still contains many things that are just so wrong in a programming
language, the worst offender is goto. Also, it's implementation of
sub-routines is diabolical. Maybe that's what encouraged Bill to continue
it's existence with Visual Basic?

> The Library has Linux in a Nutshell, and Idiots Guide with MAndrake.

Linux in a Nutshell is a great reference, but it's aimed at the higher-level
Linux user rather than the newbie. I find the Idiot Guides to be too
condensending, but many swear by them. Others swear at them, though.

Mandrake is a good, easy to install and use distro. But if you're allready
using Xandros, you're better sticking with that.

> But-If i develop a Linus Distro, all these problems are teaching me what
> could be from linux.

You will learn alot from developing your own distro, but it's better to walk
before you run. Get familiar with your current system. Play around with it
and update it and install new packages. Then try your hand at compiling some
simple apps to see how the whole thing works. And get over to www.tldp.org
and download and read anything that seems useful to you. There is a lot for
you to learn before trying to build a Distro. Linux has many configurations
that are not obvious and takes quite a bit of knowledge to get even a basic
system working properly.

But don't loose heart. Remember, every one of us was where you are now at one
time.

Cheers,

	John Gay