Compaq iPAQ 3130 Some success.

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Aug 19 13:59:40 PDT 2004

Well, after the opie version failed to install twice, I figured it was because
of an interrupted download when I ran out of diskspace, so I fetched it again
and tried the gpe version, which worked fine.

First it came up with the backlight on, and then presented a keyboard. I
played with it a bit, but I've re-fetched the opie version and verified the
md5sum this time.

I still remember getting my Pilot Pro, thinking it was the best thing. I
played around with it for ages and now can't live without a handheld of some
type. I followed the uCLinux project to see how they'd get on, but when it
could only run with the TSR 8M memory board, I decided that the Pilot O/S was
much better suited to this form factor. It worked from 1M of flash and 1M
RAM.

So I guess we owe a debt of gratitude to M$ for defining the PocketPC format
that requires so much memory for wince that Linux can easily fit (-;

Still not sure of the state of this battery. If I can't get a proper charge on
it, I'll have to put wince back on and return the ipaq. Then I'll see if
there is a colour version going cheap in Ireland to continue my
playing/experimenting.

Cheers,

	John Gay