moneypolies (was demoncracy)

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:45:44 PDT 2004

Hello all,

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:39:10 +0200, Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 22:23, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> > > Actually I think linux is pretty relevant. Do you think windoze
> > > will charge people in developing countries less because they can
> > > afford less? It's worth a thought - The linux crusades ...
> >
> > Actually, they do -- but only when the developing country is about to
> > adopt Linux.
> >
> I read this last night and thought ha-ha, good joke. After more
> contemplation however this wouldn't surprise me. Were you serious??
> --
It's actually a well known fact that this is part of the MS strategy.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/15/1622254&tid=201
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/12/1313206&tid=201

Those are two articles about one lower cost version for asia (slashdot
links in case you want to read comments)

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39163137,00.htm

That's an article entitled: Microsoft picks five countries for cheap Windows

Oh and heres an interesting commentary called "How Microsoft Can
Embrace Linux", which though a commentary, speaks about M$ in
devleoping nations.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2004/tc20040726_9378_tc120.htm

Linux has to be more than "free" to compete with Bill. Luckily, it is!

Mike