demoncracy

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 17 11:56:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:38:22 +0200
Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:

> Only when we slowed down a bit did they cross in front of us and
> subsequently stopped running.

Stopped running, or stopped doing anything because you were feeling
particularly evil and sped up, just at the point they went in front of
the car :)  I'm sure other languages are susceptible to it, but I find
it fascinating how easy it is to "read between the lines" with English,
and interpret almost any passage in more than one way.  I'd be
interested to hear from any of our bi- or multi-linguists on the
relative levels of interpretation possible in their known langauges.

Matt.