demoncracy

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Tue Aug 17 11:38:22 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 20:23, John Gay wrote:
> On Tue 17 Aug 2004 17:06, Allard Welter wrote:
> > but doesn't - ostrich phenomenon I guess (which is a myth btw -
> > despite not being the brightest of creations, they don't avoid
> > danger by putting their heads in the sand - they run, and if
> > necessary kick with formidable force).
>
> Actually, the idea of the ostrich sticking it's head in the sand is
> comes from it's first reaction to danger. It drops it's head to the
> ground with it's neck close to it's legs so it looks like a small
> tree.

Fascinating - I didn't know that.

> If the danger gets closer, then it runs. As a last resort, it can
> kick the head off most big cats, but if the cat gets a bite of the
> leg, the ostrich has had it.

I was in the Kalahari once. Some ostriches were running alongside the
car needing to go to the other side. We matched their speed to see what
would happen - nothing - they were intent on crossing the road in front
of the car. Only when we slowed down a bit did they cross in front of
us and subsequently stopped running.

> I wonder if anyone has considered replacing 'tux' with an ostrich?
> (Cheap attempt to drag Linux into the subject (-; )

Actually I think linux is pretty relevant. Do you think windoze will
charge people in developing countries less because they can afford
less? It's worth a thought - The linux crusades ...