WebMail with threading

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Fri Aug 13 04:05:00 PDT 2004

Carlos Martin <carlosmn at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11 Aug 2004 18:55:31 +0200, Björn Lindberg <d95-bli at nada.kth.se> wrote:
> > Not to answer your question, but if I were you, I would run an IMAP
> > server instead. Then you can use any mail client you wish from
> > anywhere, and still have full access to all your mails.
> I'm not sure that every mail client I'd use would be IMAP-compatible.
> I already have cyrus running (that's how SquirrelMail works), but I
> don't want to have to set a new IMAP account on every computer where
> I'd like to check my mail.
> I'm not talking about using personal machines (that's no problem). I'm
> talking about using a friend's computer for a moment. Setting up
> his/her client with my account would not be an ideal solution. Apart
> from that, it'd be a security problem, as even after deleting the
> account, it might still be accessible to worms, viruses, spyware, all
> of the above (you should see how stupid some people around here are).

Ok, then I misunderstood your request. I thought you wanted mail
access from several machines that you regularly use. I agree that
webmail is probably a good choice for the usage you had in mind, and
it can be coupled to an IMAP-server if you still want it. You could
use ssh as the access metod of choice, and fall back on the web mail
in unusual situations (eg web cafés).

Björn