WebMail with threading

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 12 04:16:44 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:06:05PM +0200, Björn Lindberg wrote:

> Yes, but if he has to send mail, it doesn't matter wether he runs a
> webmail or an IMAP server, he still has to find a solution for sending
> mail. So it is an unrelated problem, no?

Webmail, as far as his home system would be concerned, is a local user.
A remote imap user wouldn't be. He will have some sort of sendmail on
his system anyway. If it is configured correctly, then an imap user
should not be able to send mail because it would be a relay. That's when
you come into authentication methods to allow only the proper person to
relay lest you become an open relay. This would be rather easy if you
knew your remote user would *always* be at the same IP address and no
one else at that IP would do anything nefarious., but how oftem would
that be the case?

--
Archaic

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficient...The greatest dangers to
liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but
without understanding."

- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis