NonStandard Directory Tree, Wildcards in PATH, etc

Jeremy Henty jeremy at chaos.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 11:31:13 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:

> Jeremy Henty <jeremy at chaos.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > [snip,jch]
> > Joking aside, putting the OS in a non-root directory is a good
> > idea.  Windows got this right.
>
> Could you expound on that a bit?

Blimey, you expect me to justify my bullshit??!!??  :-) Mostly it's my
love of tidyness and uniformity: I like things to be modular and for
directories to contain a module, the whole of that module and nothing
but that module.  "/" on Unix systems contains several directories
that are part of the core OS ("/usr", "/dev" etc.) and several others
that are not ("/mnt", "/home", "/opt" etc.).  Yuk!

*But* ... now wouldn't it be cool to have several versions of the OS
in directories called "/linux-<version>", a symlink /linux ->
linux-<version-current> and be able to change versions by pointing
that symlink elsewhere and rebooting.  Is this feasible?  Not when
booting with lilo, but might grub be able to do it?

Cheers,

Jeremy