LFS router with AMD Geode NX

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 07:03:16 PDT 2004

Dan Osterrath wrote:

> must have's:
> AMD Geode NX (or probably GX but not the old version from National
> Semiconductor)
> 2x LAN
> VGA out (if processor != GX)
> 128MB RAM
> 2x IDE
> fan less

That's pretty nice, but I doubt you'll see embedded boards with it very
soon, since it's not backwards compatible with the older Geodes.

It is Socket A compatible, though, so you could use any standard Socket
A board that has a BIOS upgrade to support this processor. However, if
you're really building a "router", why do you need 2 IDE ports and VGA
output? I'd rather get a Linksys WRT54GS for under $100US and hack away
on the open-source firmware, or build my own using a Soekris board
(which can be had with a 266MHz previous generation Geode, 3xEthernet,
mini-PCI, etc).