Strange beeping

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 12:09:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:22:41 -0400, Dominic L Hilsbos
<dhilsboslfs at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Saturday night my Server computer crashed all over the place, and I have
> spent yesterday and this morning reinstalling and reconfiguring it.
> However starting this morning it has taken on the very annoying habit of
> beeping at me every 3 minutes, does anyone know what might be causing
> this?  It happens whether there is a user logged on or not, and began
> right after I started running mgetty again, however I'm not getting
> anything abnormal in the logs, nor is mgetty restarting. I plan on
> commenting out the line in inittab that run mgetty, but I don't have
> time to right now, anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this
> problem, so I can make some real headway after work, even if it isn't
> mgetty?
>
> --
>
> Dominic L Hilsbos

Do you have a scsi controller card in there that might be beeping? I
have an old hp netserver in my internship office that would do nothing
but beep and beep... so damned annoying! It was a drive error, after
all. Going into the scsi smart select utility allowed me to shut the
alarm off (and eventually fix the issue that caused the beeping, a
drive error.)

Mike