Filesystem for a shutdown-by-pulling-the-plug machine

Andrew Calkin calkin at ieee.org
Sun Aug 8 08:56:32 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:54:12AM +0000, cedric wrote:
> On Sunday 08 August 2004 07:41, Patrick Head wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 02:13, cedric wrote:
> > > Hi all, i want to be able to just yenk out the power cable of my
> > > computer, and not loose any data, or being forced to run 'checkdisk'
> > > afterwards.
> > >
> > > I figured i need a filesystem that instead of overwriting files makes a
> > > file 'next to it' and when it's confirmed the file is written removes the
> > > old file.
> > >
> > > Any filesystems out there that does this?
> > >
> > > btw, instead of just pulling the cable, running a script is fine, as long
> > > as the script doesn't take much longer than about a second.
> >
> > Cedric,
> >
> > Although still NOT recommended, I have had great luck with using the
> > ext3 (with journalizing) and the Reiser file systems on Linux.  They
> > more or less act like the transaction systems on a database.  The
> > transaction replay times on reboot are usually less than a second for
> > several filesystems.  So far, absolutely NO data loss has happened to me
> > during power failures, or just plain screw ups on my part.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Head
> > patrick at phead.net
>
> It does. I use ext3 already, and my guess is i can just run sync, and then the
> poweroff function in the kernel.  I know i can acces that one by
> alt-sysreq-<a letter> but how can i access hat from s script?
>
> The only problem i've left is KDE forgetting what programs were running. Any
> way i can tell KDE to save those without logging off?

Hi, I guess you haven't already investigated trying to use APCI states?
They can easily be accessed by a script, but how well they work for you
depends on how well your hw is supported in the kernel. But suspend to
disk sounds like what you are looking for. I am not sure if that
survives unplugging the power, but it _sounds_ like it should...
provided that you can sync the disk (if you are going to sync the disk,
why not just sync then unmount?). I am considering this type of setup
for a HTPC I am planning, to speed up start times.

Regards,
//Andrew