Filesystem for a shutdown-by-pulling-the-plug machine

cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Sun Aug 8 02:54:12 PDT 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 07:41, Patrick Head wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 02:13, cedric wrote:
> > Hi all, i want to be able to just yenk out the power cable of my
> > computer, and not loose any data, or being forced to run 'checkdisk'
> > afterwards.
> >
> > I figured i need a filesystem that instead of overwriting files makes a
> > file 'next to it' and when it's confirmed the file is written removes the
> > old file.
> >
> > Any filesystems out there that does this?
> >
> > btw, instead of just pulling the cable, running a script is fine, as long
> > as the script doesn't take much longer than about a second.
>
> Cedric,
>
> Although still NOT recommended, I have had great luck with using the
> ext3 (with journalizing) and the Reiser file systems on Linux.  They
> more or less act like the transaction systems on a database.  The
> transaction replay times on reboot are usually less than a second for
> several filesystems.  So far, absolutely NO data loss has happened to me
> during power failures, or just plain screw ups on my part.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Head
> patrick at phead.net

It does. I use ext3 already, and my guess is i can just run sync, and then the
poweroff function in the kernel.  I know i can acces that one by
alt-sysreq-<a letter> but how can i access hat from s script?

The only problem i've left is KDE forgetting what programs were running. Any
way i can tell KDE to save those without logging off?

Greetz, cedric
--
The only dumb question is the one omitted

De enige domme vraag is degene die niet gesteld wordt