Filesystem for a shutdown-by-pulling-the-plug machine

Patrick Head patrick at phead.net
Sun Aug 8 00:41:40 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 02:13, cedric wrote:
> Hi all, i want to be able to just yenk out the power cable of my computer, and
> not loose any data, or being forced to run 'checkdisk' afterwards.
>
> I figured i need a filesystem that instead of overwriting files makes a file
> 'next to it' and when it's confirmed the file is written removes the old
> file.
>
> Any filesystems out there that does this?
>
> btw, instead of just pulling the cable, running a script is fine, as long as
> the script doesn't take much longer than about a second.

Cedric,

Although still NOT recommended, I have had great luck with using the
ext3 (with journalizing) and the Reiser file systems on Linux.  They
more or less act like the transaction systems on a database.  The
transaction replay times on reboot are usually less than a second for
several filesystems.  So far, absolutely NO data loss has happened to me
during power failures, or just plain screw ups on my part.

Hope this helps!

Patrick

--
Patrick Head