New book?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 7 13:50:24 PDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:48:55 +0000
John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:

> > As an aside, is anyone from the UK/Europe interested in purchasing
> > the new printed book.  If so, I'm willing to take delivery of them
> > all, on the assumption that a bulk purchase will minimise postage &
> > packing charges.
>
> I was not aware of a new printed book? I liked the idea when the first
> one came out, but with anything printed about Linux, it was out of
> date long before it was available. But that's due to the quick nature
> of Linux development and the slow process of printing books.
>
> Out of interest, what version of LFS is this one targeted for?

John, it's based on the 'testing' branch of LFS, i.e. linux-2.6.7, NPTL,
gcc-3.4.1, udev, etc.  It's about as up to date as is possible, without
printing something based on CVS checkouts for everything :)

> Will it include any of the BLFS stuff?

There *might* be a CD available which will have some of the larger BLFS
tarballs on it I believe.  I also think there are plans to get another
version of BLFS printed too, but I'm not sure on timescales for that
yet.

Regards,

Matt.