(O/T) Anyone following Real Robots?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Aug 7 12:41:10 PDT 2004

On Fri 06 Aug 2004 22:29, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:52:12 +0000
>
> John Gay <johngay at eircom.net> wrote:
> > The main robot is now finished and the handset/controller is complete
> > enough for the computer-link software, except the application provided is
> > Windows-only. Thinking that the programming code and communication
> > protocols should be basic, I wrote asking them if they could provide
> > details to allow Linux users to experiment with it. Here is the reply:
>
> Is it serial or USB?

Serial.

> if serial, it'll be REALLY easy to reverse engineer. USB is (only slightly)
> harder.

Sounds like a good starter project then?

> a fun hacking project for a beginner at reverse engineering, I would guess.

Not sure I'd know enough to call myself a beginner.

But the problem is two-staged.
1) The PC down-loads the robot code to the handset via the serial cable
connection.
2) The handset then sends the code to the robot via I/R.

So we need both the comms protocol between the PC and handset and the code
format for the robot code. But we have some examples of robot code provided
on CD for direct downloading, so we can play around with those as well.

Cheers,

	John Gay