Mental Exercise: Linux in business

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 21:17:12 PDT 2004

Dominic L Hilsbos wrote:

> Users.  How would a business go about setting up centralized login, with
> centralized servers handling users /home/* folders?  What I would
> specifically like is that when a user logs in using the graphical
> environment the users /home directory would be created, and then the
> remote directory would be mounted there.  When the user logs out their
> /home directory would be unmounted, and destroyed.

I am about to embark on this same sort of project, for many of the same
reasons.

This particular process is usually handled by having a central user
database (could be as simple as NIS, or as complex as LDAP or RADIUS),
and then mounting the user's home directory via NFS from a central home
directory server. This means that no contents of the user's home
directory are ever present on the workstation (except in memory), but it
does put a little more pressure on the network.