Mental Exercise: Linux in business

Dominic L Hilsbos dhilsboslfs at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 19:47:12 PDT 2004

The company I work for deploys hundreds of PCs, many of which are
utilized by multiple (at different times) non-computer-literate
personnel.  No one should be surprise by the fact that these computers
have had serious security problems recently.  Unfortunately I'm not part
of my companies IT department, so this is just a mental exercise for me.

Ok, so the challenges are this:

Users.  How would a business go about setting up centralized login, with
centralized servers handling users /home/* folders?  What I would
specifically like is that when a user logs in using the graphical
environment the users /home directory would be created, and then the
remote directory would be mounted there.  When the user logs out their
/home directory would be unmounted, and destroyed.

Centralized shared scheduling.  Certain members of the work force need
to be able to schedule meetings and such with each other.  Also it would
need to include the ability for each user to specify which other users
are able to edit their schedule.

I think that's enough of my rambling for today.

--

Dominic L Hilsbos

"Peace can not be kept by force.  It can only be achieved through
understanding"
Albert Einstein

Linux registered user: 283861		http://counter.li.org/
LFS 5.0 ID:12136			http://linuxfromscratch.org/cgi-bin/lfscounter.cgi