Routing + linux + Windows XP + not playing fair.

Gareth Westwood gareth at wffsystems.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 15:07:47 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Got a little bit of a technical that I am hoping someone here can help
me with. It is all to do with this internet cafe thing I am setting up
for my local scout camp site.

This is starting to look like a semi complicated project and at present
I have the following,

           internet

         adsl router

   Linux router/firewall - mixed windoze and linux boxes all working fine

         Wireless Link

   Linux router/firewall

mixed windoze and linux boxes
      linux working fine
        windows sucking

All the machines that are connected via the first router are fine,
The Linux machines connected via the second router are fine,

The Windoze (XP) machines connected via the second router can see the
machines local to them on the same subnet and the "outside" address of
the router but no further. Pinging just times out, tracert gets as far
as the router and dies.

Can anyone think of and "problems" or whatever that could be causing
this to go belly up? I have been trying to get this working all day,
google has let me down and I'm fed up with this microshaft crap.

Sorry for asking questions bout such crap software but I have exhausted
all other options that I can think of right now.

Thanks in advance.

--
Gareth Westwood
Getting balder by the second.