Problems/Diistro

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Mon Aug 2 07:31:09 PDT 2004

2004-08-02T13:04:56 tino rozzo:
> Unfortunately, where ever I go, I cannot download basic software,
> even tiny objects to floppy anymore.

Why not? I dno't use floppies any more, but I have no trouble
downloading wherever I go, to local hard disk, various USB-attached
hard disks, and memory sticks.

> It seems I cannot even find a ditro that is tiiny enough to fit to
> diskette.

They're rare, but they do still exist; I hear refs to tomsrtbt more
often than anything else.

If I wanted to build one From Scratch, I'd start with either uClibc
or diet-libc, either Busybox or the collection of tiny tools people
have built with diet-libc, gen a custom tuned vmlinuz, pick a
loader, etc.

-Bennett