Upgrade question

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Sep 30 16:44:54 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 14:57, Tony Karakashian wrote:
> The 'right thing' is making profits to pay their employees and
> reimburse their shareholders for the faith they've shown the company.

This line of reasoning would make it the 'right thing' for tobacco
companies to make their cigarettes as addictive as they can dispite
knowing that doing so is very bad for people's health.  Or for an
industrial company to dump chemicals in the creek behind the plant
because it maximizes profit.  $$$ != ethical

> He asked if it was supported, and no one commented on the company's
> policies until after he made the purchase. :)

Joe made his purchase within hours of his original post.  I hope Joe
gets a lot of bang for his buck.  Personally, I have been looking at
some of the Nvida cards as I had forgotten about the driver thing.

By providing binary only drivers Nvida is killing two birds with a
single stone.  One, they are taking away the motivation many would feel
to contribute to open drivers.  Two, if an open source project were
started to write such drivers they would appear in a more favorable
light in the eyes of the courts because of the binary drivers.  That is,
if they were to take some sort of legal action against such a project.

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 14:42, Joe Morris wrote:
> I looked around at
> sources all over the net, and I didn' hear good things about Radeon
> 3D-accel. On the DRI website I saw the Radeon support, but I didn't
> think that applied to the newer Radeons.

It is historical that open driver development has always lagged
somewhat.  The reason is obvious enough.  It takes time for enough
people to buy the hardware and then work together to get it working.

Some companies have supported such driver development projects with
specs and hardware.  Some of the CD Burner vendors have been generous in
this regard.  As a result the support for their hardware is getting to
the point that it is as good as, or better than under Windows.

> I heard some good things about
> Nvidia, and even linuxhardware.org's system of the year for 2001 had and
> Nvidia card.

Looking at the linuxhardware.org's website it would not appear that they
have ever heard of the GPL or other open source licenses.  (I will
compose an email to them next.  I tried to read their FAQ but it is dark
blue on black.)

> I didn't want to waste money on something that I couldn't
> get working...

This is very much understood.  I do not think anyone here wants you
spending money on something that is not going to work for you.

I see the industry as having two minds.  One is eager to join the
Trusted Computing Platform Alliance and win a position in the emerging
poly-monopoly.  The other is excited about open source and the
innovation and competition it will breed.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org