Upgrade question

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Sep 30 16:33:57 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:34:29 +0000 (UTC)
heartboy at nycap.rr.com (Joe Morris) wrote:

> Okay guys, I've thought it over and tomorrow I'm gonna try and cancel
> the order for the video card. I'll wait a while and think harder about
> the video card before I buy one. I hope I can cancel it, because I'm
> really divided on this issue myself!

Good move. Its always good to wait a little and consider a hardware
purchase, especially video on linux, which is, frankly, a horrid
nightmare.

Heres a (hopefully) unbiased bit of information.

Nvidia:

Decent enough driver
Closed source
Wont work with all kernel configurations

ATI:

Radeon 9xxx - unsupported (yet)
Radeon 8500
	has closed driver AND open driver
	closed driver is more featureful as yet
	open driver is OK, but not hot. still in alpha.
Radeon 7xxx
	has open driver
	works GREAT.

hope this helps.

The Radeon 9700 looks to be a *stonking* card, and it may be worth
waiting to see what support it gets on linux. So far it is /way/ better
than any nvidia card, at least on Windows.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org