Upgrade question

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Sep 30 16:28:15 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:34:23 +0000 (UTC)
remy.bosch at hccnet.nl ("R. Bosch") wrote:

> > pport manufacturers that do it right (or right-er, as neither VIA
> > nor ATI are being completely open yet).
>
> Then what do you recommend then??

ATI seem to be the only mainstream one even close to the open source
spirit.

I honestly dont know enough about the oddballs like kyro II to comment,
except I heard the matrox parhelia wont be open...

> I'm waiting for the hcc-days (Dutch computer event) to get a new
> graphic card, yet I'm at a loss what to buy.... It's like looking in
> thick fog. I might consider a new mobo, but there's no real need...

The r300 (radeon 9xxx) arent supported by DRI yet.

the 8500 series look to be getting decent support soon.

the 7500 series works very well, despite ATI not allowing use of all its
features.

I get over 100fps in most bits of Q3, with 1024x768 full on everything,
except trilinear filtering. (7500 DDR 64)

HTH.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org