Upgrade question

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Sep 30 13:59:46 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:59:10 +0000 (UTC)
tonyk at rochestermidland.com ("Tony Karakashian") wrote:

Can you fix your newsreader? your posts arent appearing threaded here.

> > Excuse me?  The impression I have is that he is merely advocating
> > support for companies that do more then pay lip service to Open
> >Source philosophy.  The entire LFS project would not exist if it
> >were not for Open Source.

> No, he's not.  He's saying the companies are WRONG because they're
> providing support that doesn't meet up to his standards.  The company
> provides drivers and support for Linux, that's enough.  If you can't
> get to the source for those drivers, big whoop, write your own.

I believe I said (lost my original) that its engouraging companies not
to do the 'right thing'.

I suppose you could interprett that to mean I believe Nv are evil, but
that would be your interprettation, not my intent.

FWIW, I think these companies SHOULD be pressured into opening their
specs. Incidentally, In the UK, having full use of something you buy is
actually grounds enough to allow one to legally reverse engineer
something.

> He's also giving Joe a hard time because he wanted an nVidia card.
> Perhaps Joe doesn't care if nVidia releases their drivers OS?  It's
> his choice.  Isn't choice what it's all about?

Perhaps some people are underinformed. Why did Joe ask about the card
here if he didnt want information? I dont see Joe complaining, so
perhaps the only one with a problem here is /you/ ?

I dont seem to be able to say a right word of late :-(((
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org