Upgrade question

Joe Morris heartboy at nycap.rr.com
Mon Sep 30 11:16:03 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:08:17 +0100
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

IM> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:38:20 +0000 (UTC)
IM> ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net (Ken Dyke) wrote:

>> > When will linux users learn that if we keep buying hardware with
>> > closed drivers then companies will NEVER give us open drivers?
>>
>> Are you referring to the closed drivers for Nvida or do some of the
>> other parts listed have closed drivers too?

IM> The Nvidia. AFAIR, the other stuff is pretty open (except VIA on
some
IM> small details).

I debated this in my mind for a while. Nvidia has been very good at
keeping their drivers up-to-date, from what I can tell. Plus, I've been
reading some on-line posts regarding a huge number of problems running a
Radeon with 3d-accel. I figured if Nvidia ever went out of business or
stopped maintaining their drivers, I'd just use the 2d driver in XFree86
and play my games in Win98 (I hope it won't ever come to that!).
Unfortunately, I may have to rely on Microsoft software for school
anyway (we use many Windows-only programs, and I may need to purchase
some at some point, though I haven't bought Winblows software in over a
year). It is pretty sad that the University servers are Unix/VAX-based,
the CS people use RedHat in the lab, and yet we are required to use so
much Winblows software.
Joe
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org