Upgrade question

Eamon Skelton nospam at oceanfree.net
Mon Sep 30 01:26:50 PDT 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:24:21 -0400
Joe Morris <heartboy at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my PIII to and Athlon XP in the near future.  I've got a few questions before taking the plunge. Since all of my binaries were compiled with -O2 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse, would my programs run fine on the AMD, or would I have to recompile all of my programs?  Also, I know some people have complained about VIA chipsets. What is a good chipset for an Athlon? Is SiS okay? How about a stable mobo? Anything else I should know about upgrading? Thanks!
> Joe

Your PIII code should run fine on an Athlon. I pulled the
hard-drive from my PII PC and installed it in my new Duron
1300 machine. Everything worked fine except that I had to
compile a new kernel to get the on-board sound working.

The ECS K7S5A is a good board. I bought mine a couple of
months ago. I run it 24/7 and so far I have not had a
single lock-up, crash or any sign of instability.

Current uptime:  21 days,  9:54.

Oops!, I almost forgot to mention the important bit,
it is based on the SiS735 chipset.

HTH.

E.S.

--