shockwave petition

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Sep 30 02:30:07 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 01:54, Richard Lightman wrote:
> * Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net> [2002-09-30 08:27]:
> > On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 18:20, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> > > Better yet, lets spam the macromedia mail with mails asking them to stop
> > > writing flash/shockwave :)
> >
> > Who do we spam to stop javascript?
> > Sun?
> >
> Spam is not the answer.

No.  Spam is not the answer.  I should have put an emoticon to indicate
that it was in jest.

> I have had some success by mailing the maintainers of web sites,
> explaining the problem, and asking them politely to fix it. If people
> stop using flah and javascript on their sites, then these things will
> die of neglect.
>
> Even nVidia listened - their technical support page used to be
> accessible only from graphics mode browsers. I pointed out that this
> was a catch 22 if you were having problems with a graphics card. A
> month or so later, the site was fixed.
>
> It is worth taking a look at the source code for flash pages:
>
> Search enginges cannot read flash, so the pages have a list of links
> for the search engine to follow. Some search engines value a site by
> the number of links to it. That makes this list a type of advert. I
> have seen sites where this list is for a bunch of unrelated companies.
> If you can find a competitor in there, you will be able to present a
> stronger argument for getting rid of flash.
>
> For more reasons, take a look at:
> http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html

Ah... I have not been here in a couple of years.  It appears to have
developed nicely.  I will bookmark this one once again as I have
recently been trying to convice a consultant friend of mine that
javascript is a pointy-hair thing i.e. only clueless management types
like it.

> Richard

Thanks Richard.  Now I have to find something else to idly bash on.
Spam, itself, is no longer any fun since I have a template for sending
to various admins and a procedure to follow when I feel energetic enough
to tilt at that windmill. :-)

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,