lfs-3.3.tar downloaded 10,000+ times

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sun Sep 29 04:16:04 PDT 2002

On Monday 30 September 2002 12:03 pm, R. Bosch wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 00:11:36 -0700  Mister Jesse just HAD to write the
following:
> > That's like 0.85TB, isn't it?  Woahhhh.
>
> Is there a geek with knowledge about IP-headers? Just to calculate the
> TOTAL traffig generated ;-)

It's impossible to do an exact calculation, because there's no fixed number
of bytes inside an IP packet.   There's a maximum number of bytes inside an
ethernet frame, however, and that's 1500, so if we assume for the moment that
everyone was downloading full-size ethernet frames, then out of every 1500
bytes, 24 bytes are the IP header, and 24 bytes are the TCP header, so we
have 1452 left over for data.

Therefore if the exact amount of data transferred was 89,357,530 bytes per
download (according to my quick scan of v3.3 on the ftp site), this would
have been transferred in at least 61,541 packets per download, to which the
TCP and IP headers would add another 2,953,968 bytes.   That's about 3.3%

So 10,000 people downloading 850Gbytes between them would have also
transferred at least 28Gbytes of TCP/IP headers.

I say "at least" because there are always 48 bytes of headers on a packet,
but there might be less than 1452 bytes of data in it, so the header % could
be higher.

Antony.

--

What is this talk of software 'release' ?
Our software evolves and matures until it becomes capable of escape,
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org