Prerequisite skills

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Fri Sep 27 15:09:43 PDT 2002

Hey,

Sorry about starting a new thread.  I have decided to subscribe once
again to the list as opposed to participating via newsgroup client.  I
have missed being here.

I have now read the Building and Installing Software Packages HOWTO.  It
is dated though holding up surprisingly well for a four year old
document.  A reader needs to be pretty skillful to interpret the
information there into today's milieu.  To point a newbie at such a
document would be to turn them away from Linux as a whole.

The author does explain a number of caveats to using binaries that only
lend more support the the underlying premise of LinuxFromScratch.

As I move further through the document some of his troubleshooting
solutions are not optimal.  For illustration, he suggests editing the
source file to correct where is looks for foo.  Truly, this is optimal.
What is not is that he offers the alternative solution of creating a
symlink to point to where foo really lives.  This alternative is a
bandaid and does not address the real problem.  Experienced folks know
this, newbies don't.

All in all, it was an interesting read.  It needs updating.  If newbies
are going to be pointed at it as a pre-requisite it needs to be more
newbie friendly.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,