Login trouble

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Tue Sep 24 08:05:25 PDT 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 15:17, Mihail Popa wrote:
> Well, my question has nothing to do with the LFS book.  I have
> started with a fresh ext2 partition with the basic directory
> structure and the dev files in their place. I my last mail I
> explained every step I made.
>
> The problem is that the login should work. I have read the man pages
> and looked over the internet but found nothing relevant. I was hoping
> someone on this list would know what I did wrong.
>
> Mihai

I think the problem is in your /etc/passwd. You mentioned you copied it
from another system. That system probably has shadow installed, which
you don't have on your new minimal system. Try this as your
/etc/passwd:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Now enter the chroot, type 'passwd' and enter a passwd. That should be
it.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans