Login trouble

Andrew Calkin calkina at ece.curtin.edu.au
Tue Sep 24 02:07:12 PDT 2002

Hi,
I am curious, what stage of the process did you work through to? You mention
that you compiled programs statically (one of the reasons ppl have trouble in
chapter 6 is that they didn't compile something statically in chapter 5),
which makes me wonder if you are entering chapter 6 after just finishing
chapter 5? Or are you working on a 'completed' LFS system? If it is the
former, I seem to remember something along the lines of usernames being
available only after glibc is installed dynamically in chapter 6, so you
should use the uid 0 for root account when logging in, maybe?

To be honest i'm not sure where you are at, but I haven't seen this before. I
think that deviation from the book is generally not such a great idea, as the
book irons out most of the bugs like this that you would come across. Maybe
some info on exactly what stage you are at would help us to find the problem.

//Andrew.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org