Linux feel good

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Sat Sep 21 11:55:37 PDT 2002

* Robert Ian Smit <robian at wanadoo.nl> [2002-09-21 14:36]:
> * David <david at desolateonline.com> [21-09-2002 13:21]:
> > http://www.nsa.gov/selinux
>
> Didn't the big bad wolf go after this project and effectively closed
> it down?

I read something along the lines of: "US government agrees to MS's
request not to sponsor free software (like selinux) that could compete
with comercial software".

I looked carefully, but could not find the article again. As for
selinux, the genie is out of the bottle. There is about one entry per
month on http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/news.html  The last was on the
23rd of August, so it looks like the project is not in any danger.

I am not so sure about future projects. I found this at
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/faq.html  but it could be older than
the article I remember:

    4. Is NSA funding any follow-on work?
       NSA is not soliciting proposals for follow-on work at this time.

I am not sure how MS can claim to offer anything that competes with
selinux. I know that there is a proposal in the US along the lines
of "All publicly funded software projects should use an open source
licence such as GPL or BSD". This would seem a bit more rational to
me considering how MS have been found guilty, but after looking at
my own government, it is hard to complain about anyone else's.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org